Takeaway: Match Day 6
August 21, 2020
Fast food, take out, take away, whatever you want to call it, we got it. Here's the cheap and greasy takeaway from the FC Cincinnati - DC United match:
- Jaap Stam is already proving to be the best manager FC Cincinnati has ever had. Not a high bar to clear, but he's on his way.
- The team started off in a 4-3-3 then moved to a 3-5-2. That flexibility and adapability has been absent in recent years.
- Joe Gyau and Andrew Gutman have been the main drivers of the attack under Stam, and they are shining.
- Gutman's bad passes are excused by the rest of his play.
- In the back 4, Gutman was given freedom to go forward while Deplange held back. This allowed Gyau to shine on the right and Gutman is fast enough to cover all of that ground. Only once, in the 5th minute, did Gutman get pulled out of position when DC transitioned into attack.
- Locadia might be cursed.
- Locaida is in the right spots, his shot selection was great, and a few inches to the right and he has a goal. Regular service isn't there, but he needs to be able to capitalize on the few opportunities he's been given.
- Tyton has really proven to be a solid and stable goalkeeping presence. Early on for FCC he seemed unsure of himself and tended to flap at balls. Now he seems calm and is an excellent shot stopper.
- Cruz needs to be starting for this team. He's so much more dynamic than de Jong and his passing ability is as good if not better. This was the first de Jong looked old.
- Cruz can win balls and ping passes to Kubo and Locadia that unlock defenses. Not sure what Stam doesn't see in him.
- In the second half, Frankie Amaya did a better job in the Haris Medunjanin role than Haris Medunjanin has this year.
- Waston and Pettersson are a really good centerback pairing. Or DC was absolutely terrible on offense. Probably a bit of both.
- Regattin is a heel that this team needs. Him as a super sub meant he could run and run and chase every ball. He can fill in anywhere in the midfield and attack and grab a game by its throat like he's Jaap Stam.
- Kubo will be an unassuming player for long stretches of the game until he has one magnificent run or pass. I look forward to rewatching this match to see what it is he's doing all game, but when he stands out he really stands out.
- While the draw felt a bit disappointing, this team has an identity that is forming and working. Cincinnati should have won tonight, and it's been awhile since we have been able to say that and mean it. A draw isn't terrible.
- New signings are on their way, and this team could get very good very quickly.
- If a pacey Argentinian winger is indeed on their way to Cincinnati, Gyau should be tried out at right back. He's too good to keep off the field. Give him the Gutman role on the right, he can manage it.
- A pacey winger ought to thrive in an offense that is driven primarily from the outside backs/wingers.
- It's good to be back.