Takeaway: Match Day 8
August 29, 2020
Too Late; Didn't Recap: Here's your quick, dirty, but filling takeaway for Matchday 8, Hell is Real, against Columbus Crew
- That was a very good performance from FC Cincinnati.
- While many expected a parking of the bus and bunkering, FC Cincinnati took the game to Columbus plenty of times.
- Last time Cincinnati faced Columbus they lost 4-0. Tonight they drew 0-0. If Columbus won tonight they would have gone top of the league.
- Only using 2 of 5 subs is weird, right?
- The midfield was able to link up play to the attack much much better this match than the last two.
- Joe Gyau is a problem for other teams.
- Gyau's ability to dribble at defenders and make short passes is invaluable.
- Locadia is able to come back into the midfield and collect the ball very well, an underrated aspect of his game.
- Locaida and Gyau had a few great combinations that led to dangerous moments.
- Kubo has been overall very good, but he hesitates sometimes and kills momentum.
- If Kubo follows the pattern of other international DP signings, next year he could settle in to being a top 10 player in MLS.
- When Kubo is on, he's dangerous. His long shot was another great moment.
- Kubo is really, really fast. But he's rarely on the break.
- Frankie Amaya as a destroyer is a lot of fun to watch. A very good player that'll be fun to see grow over the next few years assuming he doesn't jump to Europe sooner rather than later.
- de Jong's free kicks? someone should pay him for those. He's fantastic on a dead ball.
- There are times de Jong looks like he might be 50 years old out there.
- Gutman played like a young player, trying to do a lot and not always pulling it off.
- Overall Gutman is a good player, but some of his passing could use work.
- Gutman would be better served doing something other than crossing the ball. Like, anything else.
- This was quietly one of Deplange's best games for FCC, his best this year.
- Waston and van der Werff were a great pair tonight.
- No major defensive collapses tonight.
- Tyton with another clean sheet, this time against the league leaders in goal difference.
- Tyton had a weird moment in the game where he kept running the ball out of bounds with the ball in his hands, then he kept complaining about it being called.
- Stam's decision to not sit back and continue to play balanced really payed off.
- This resumption of play has been really hard on the visiting team. Starting to see that more and more.
- A draw, very happy to see the draw, but this is one FCC could have easily won.
- Stam has shown he is very good at making adjustments FCC needs between matches and during matches.
- Easy to feel disappointed here but against a rival that is doing very well this season and one that crushed FCC earlier this year, this is a very good result.