Takeaway: Matchday 13
September 23, 2020
Too Late; Didn't Recap, here is your late night takeaway from FC Cincinnati's 0-0 draw with Philadelphia Union
- Cincinnati held the third place team to the Eastern conference to a draw. A very positive result.
- Remember when this team struggled to score goals? Well it still does.
- It's probably time to start complaining about Locadia not burying his shots.
- This team isn't going to generate a ton of opportunities as it is currently built, but there's almost not point if the $10 million striker is unable to but the ball on frame
Vazquez looked good in the last game, he had some pretty bad touches out there tonight.
- And while he didn't start, Kubo's touch seems to have completely left him.
- Despite all of that, FCC's offense looked ok this match, graded on a curve.
- One thing Cincinnati has struggled with was transitioning out of defense and into attack, but that worked well this match.
- Sustained passing sequences were... nice. It was actually enjoyable to watch, even if you knew it wouldn't lead to a goal.
- Gyau is still a dangerous threat on the wings, but he didn't seem as willing to try bits of skill to get past defenders.
- There has been an effort to not send all of the attack down the wings, and it's a positive development for the team and the defense.
- Gutman is still rough around the edges, should spend all week in training crossing, but when he's on he looks like an MLS veteran on the outside.
- Is Frankie Amaya the best player on the team? If he is, is that good? I ask myself that a lot.
- Amaya and Medunjanin working together to build attacks was great tonight.
- Cruz didn't look like his old self.
- He might not be as good as I remember, he might have lost his confidence having been benched.
- Raise your hand if you knew the solution to the defense was Nick Hagglund.
- MLS Team of the Week honors last week and a solid game tonight.
- One funny passage of play saw Hagglund try to hold up a throw-in by grabbing the ball, missing, then the quick throw-in beating him for a really good shot on goal.
- Not his best moment, but the only bad one that sticks out in my mind.
- Miles better than Deplange's last few matches.
- Pettersson is pretty good too, who knew!?
- And Waston continues to be the powerful, imposing defender he always has been, but now the team isn't losing so we can all back off of him now.
- THis defense just prevented a single shot on goal from being registered. Impressive.
- Every defender should be working on clearances this week.
- I've never seen a group of professional soccer players so unable to kick the ball really far down the field when they need to. But that's Cincinnati's defense for you.
- Was Philly time wasting towards the end to get the draw against Cincinnati? Have things changed? Is Cincinnati difficult to play against now?!
- When Stam first came in, I said they needed to stop giving away goals like First Financial Pop-Sockets. They've done just that.
- Now this team needs to score goals.
- Locadia needs to feel the pressure
- Didn't expect to be saying this in September, but thank goodness he's on loan.